From Kay Meyer's column in the St. Louis Metro Voice newspaper from 1994 to 2013.
A spiritual battle rages in families within and outside of the church. Satan is firing missiles (Eph. 6:16) at us every day!
God’s Word encourages us to stand firm against the schemes of the devil (Eph. 6:11) by putting on the full armor of God. It is important to be forewarned of the enemy’s schemes. The following are some of Satan’s schemes:
- Satan uses deception. He is the father of lies. He deceives many into believing non-Biblical truths. He deceives people into believing they are saved by their good works instead of through Christ suffering, death, and resurrection. Maybe this is why the New Age Movement, Cults, the Occult and so many false religions continue to arise and increase. And why nearly half of all Christians think Satan is just a symbol of evil and not a living being. (Source: What Americans Believe by George Barna, p.205.)
- Satan uses subtle means to get us to put “family” “job” “material items” “sports” or “power” before the Lord. It’s when we say, “I don’t have time for Bible study,” or “Missing church this week is alright because we are going on a family outing,” that Satan’s subtle schemes are at work in our lives.
- Satan wants us to doubt our faith. He likes us to think we’re not good enough or don’t know enough to share our faith with family and friends.
- Satan continues to place temptations of the flesh, materialism, media’s negative influence, conflict, and family problems in our path. He tempts us to turn away from God and toward the “things” of the world.
But (Eph. 6:10-11) tells us to resist Satan’s schemes. We resist his schemes by putting on the full armor of God and by using the weapons He supplies in facing daily situations. We are to:
- Keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and preserver of our faith (Heb. 12:2)
- Recall what Christ has done for us. Jesus lived the perfect life we are unable to live, suffered and died for our sins, and rose from the dead (1 Cor. 15:1-7).
- Recall Christ’s promise to be with us always… (Matt. 28:20).
- Be in the Word. Remember that the Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit (Eph. 6:17).
For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit… Heb. 4:12)
“All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness, that the man (or woman) of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”
(2 Tim. 3:16)
- Worship regularly (Heb. 10:25)
- Fellowship with other believers (1 John 1:7)
“Pray for one another and encourage one another in the faith.” (James 5:16)
“Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.”
“Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may say, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.” (Matt. 18:19-20)
- Remember Satan is the defeated foe and Jesus is the victorious reigning King! Rely upon the Holy Spirit who lives in believers to help resist Satan’s attacks (1 Tim. 6:15).
- Use God’s Power – The Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Read 1 Cor. 15:1-7. This is the Gospel – Christ died for our sins… was buried… arose and… appeared to the apostles, to 500 believers… and last of all to me (Paul is speaking).
- Ask for forgiveness daily.
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
- When Satan makes you think you cannot share your faith, recall God’s promise to give you the words to speak in the hour you need them.
“But when they deliver you up, do not become anxious about how or what you will speak, for it shall be given you in the hour what you are to speak. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.” (Matt. 10:19-20)
- Remember that God is our Shield (Psa. 28:7) and gives us the shield of faith against the flaming missiles Satan fires at us daily. Use God’s shield of faith (Eph. 6:16)!
by Kay L. Meyer